ScholarshipsFellowshipsGrants & LoansTraineeships

Federal Family Education Loans - #84.032

Under the Federal Stafford Loan Program, any U.S. citizen, national, or person in the United States for other than a temporary purpose, who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or certificate program on at least a half-time basis as an undergraduate, graduate, or professional student at a participating postsecondary school may apply. An otherwise eligible student is eligible for loans during a single 12-month period in which the student is enrolled in a non-degree/non-certificate course of study that the school has determined is necessary in order for the student to enroll in a program leading to a degree or certificate. Under the Federal PLUS Loan program, parents may borrow for dependent students, and beginning July 1, 2006, graduate students may borrow to support their own education. Under the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan program, graduate or professional students, and independent undergraduate students may apply; under certain circumstances, a dependent undergraduate student may apply for an Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Students who are enrolled at an eligible institution on at least a half time basis in a program that is required by a State for elementary or secondary teacher certification are also eligible for Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFEL) aid (Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS). Under the Federal Consolidation Loan program, a borrower may have his or her Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford, PLUS, Perkins (formerly NDSL), and Health Professions Student loans consolidated, provided that the borrower is in a grace period or repayment status on all loans being consolidated, or is a delinquent or defaulted borrower who will reenter repayment through consolidation, and does not have another application for a consolidation loan pending. Only U.S., citizens or nationals may receive a loan to attend eligible foreign postsecondary schools. A student presently enrolled at a participating institution must maintain satisfactory academic progress in the course of study he/she is pursuing. Also, the borrower may not owe a refund on any Title IV grant or be in default on any Title IV loan received for attendance at any school. The borrower must also file a statement of registration compliance (Selective Service). To receive a subsidized Stafford Loan, all borrowers must undergo a financial need analysis to determine eligibility for Federal interest and special allowance benefits. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford, PLUS, or Consolidation loans are non-need based programs. A Stafford Loan applicant who is an undergraduate student who attends a school that participates in the Pell Grant program must receive a determination of his or her Pell Grant eligibility or ineligibility before the school may certify an application for a loan. If the applicant is determined to be eligible for a Pell Grant, the applicant must apply for a Pell Grant for the enrollment period before the institution may certify an application for a FFEL loan. An Unsubsidized Stafford Loan applicant must also receive a determination of need for a loan under the Stafford Loan program and, if eligible, must apply for a Stafford Loan prior to the school's certification of the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan application.

Join conversations about this Program specifically... and Student Financial Aid (in general) on our sister site Aidpage dedicated to online mutual support and sharing of information.

ScholarshipsFellowshipsGrants & LoansTraineeships

Students and Parents! Share this page:

site design by zayko